How to keep scorpions away while camping: 7 tips to prevent them from attacking 2023!
Keep scorpions out of your tent once and for all
Camping is a great way to get out and enjoy the outdoors.
It’s also an opportunity to witness some of nature’s most amazing creatures, like scorpions!
If you’re worried about not being able to sleep because of these fearsome critters, don’t be!
We have a few tips that will help you avoid them while camping.
How to keep scorpions away while camping
One of the last things you want to worry about while camping is whether or not scorpions are going to invade your space.
Although they may seem harmless, these critters can give you a nasty sting if you’re not careful.
When camping in areas where scorpions are present, it is important to take precautions to avoid being stung.
Here are seven tips for keeping scorpions away:
1. Wear shoes and long pants when walking around camp at night. This will help protect your feet and legs from being stung.
2. Make sure your tent is closed up well. Scorpions are known to crawl into sleeping bags, so shake out your sleeping bag before crawling inside each night.
3. Keep food sealed in plastic containers, and store the containers in the car when you’ve finished eating for the day. Scorpions can’t climb smooth surfaces, so placing them on a car roof will help keep them away from your campsite.
4. Don’t leave any lights on in the tent when you’re not using them. Scorpions are attracted to bugs that are attracted to light, so turning off all the lights in your tent at night will make it less appealing to them.
5. If you see a scorpion near your camp, use a can of insecticide to spray it and kill it. We recommend the Cedarcide Scorpion Shield Spray available on Amazon.
6. Check your bedding and clothing for scorpions before getting into them each night. If you do find a scorpion, kill it immediately.
7. Consider using a camping tent with a built-in screened porch or roof. This will help keep scorpions out of your tent.
Will keeping lights on keep scorpions away?
It is a common myth that turning on lights will keep scorpions away.
Lights attract insects such as crickets that scorpions like to feast on, so ensuring your lights are turned off will stop unwanted insects and thus unwanted scorpions!
However, there are some easy ways to prevent them from invading your space so you can enjoy a scorpion-free camping trip.
One of the most effective ways to keep scorpions away is to place a tin can or an aluminum pie plate full of water near your tent.
The noise from the falling water acts as a natural alarm and scares away scorpions so they go toward another area instead.
Do scorpions crawl in sleeping bags?
Scorpions like to find dark places to hide during the day.
Your sleeping bag or clothes and shoes left on the floor are perfect hidey holes for them.
Don’t leave your sleeping bag or clothes on the floor of your tent during the day if you are worried about scorpions in your campsite.
If you are concerned about the possibility of having a scorpion in your bag with you when you sleep, shake out your sleeping bag before climbing in and check around the zippers just in case.